Serving the Liturgy to
give glory to God.
Since 1935 the Parish
Organisthas been Mrs.
Connie Cloran who was awarded the papal Cross of Honour in 2003. We are
currently seeking a State Heritage listing for this magnificent
For more information about the organ, see
OUR CHOIRS TODAY
there are seven choirs. The
Saturday Evening Vigil Choir is led by Frank Mafi; the Sunday 8.45am Samoan Choir is also lead by Frank
Mafi; the Sunday 10.00am Italian Choir; the Sunday 11.15am Choir led by Mary
Cloran; and the Sunday Evening Tongan Choir led by Alo Solo.
Both Vietnamese Masses, on Saturday evening (7.30pm) and Sunday Afternoon (4.30pm)
have their own choirs. These
choirs combine for special feasts and celebrations.
Choir Master is Mr. Frank Mafi, and the Parish Organists are Mrs. Connie
Cloran and Mr. Valerian Rego. Occasionally Fr. Joachim Rego cp also plays the organ at Mass.
Do you want to become part of this great tradition of music?
Please contact the Parish Office or speak to one of the choirs
after Mass one weekend.
Mr. Frank Mafi
Ms. Mary Cloran
Mr. Alo Solo
THE EARLY CHOIRS
has a long standing and well deserved reputation for the quality of the
The early choir was well known throughout
Sydney, especially during the years it was lead by Mr. Arthur Doran.
There was a traditional Men and Boys’ Choir as well as the
mixed choir. Music in
Marrickville is synonymous with the name of Fr. Stansilaus Cross.
Fr. Stanisalus came to the parish
to help for a month and stayed for 47 years. In 1937, Fr. Stanislaus was
asked to form a new choir. This
choir was frequently broadcast throughout Australia on ABC Radio who installed a landline to St. Brigid's. The choir
practiced six days a week and performed all the great masses, both Gregorian and polyphony.
A number of the singers were trained by the most renowned voice
coaches in Sydney.
The Bryceson instrument had been built as a grand residence organ
(possibly for Nathaniel Holmes of The Hall, Primrose Hill, London), but was purchased second-hand in 1874 by William McQuade jnr. for
relocation to Australia at his family residence, ‘Bomera’, Potts
Point, Sydney. It remained at ‘Bomera’ until 1908, when it was moved
to the adjoining residence, ‘Tarana’ by William’s brother
Frederick: upon Frederick McQuade’s death in 1919, it was advertised
for sale and subsequently purchased by St Brigid’s where it was
installed by local organ-builder Charles Richardson for the opening of
the church in 1921.